Since 2014, I am Professor of Statistics at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). I am mainly teaching Mathematical Statistics, Multivariate Statistics and Statistical Learning. My main research fields are directional statistics, high dimensional statistics and dimension reduction techniques. I have always been interested in nonparametric methods such as rank-based methods or more recently methods based on optimal transport. I am also interested in asymptotics in general. I am currently Associate Editor of the journals Bernoulli, Electronic Journal of Statistics and Journal of Multivariate Analysis. I have also been Associate Editor for Computational Statistics and Data Analysis and for Statistics and Probability Letters. I am an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. I received in 2011 the annual prize in Mathematics and the Adolphe Wetrems prize in 2021 both from the Belgian Academy of Sciences. I am currently the president of the jury of the specialized master in Data Science, Big Data at ULB. You can download my CV here.
Academic services at ULB
- President of the jury of the specialized Master in Data Science, Big Data (2018-present)
- Secretary of the jury of the Master in Statistics (2017-present)
- Associate Editor of the Electronic Journal of Statistics (2023-…)
- Associate Editor of Bernoulli (2022-…)
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Multivariate Analysis (2016-…)
- Associate Editor of Statistics and Probability Letters (2014-2022)
- Associate Editor of Computational Statistics and Data Analysis (2020-2022)
Distinctions and Awards
- 2021: Adolphe Wetrems Prize of the Royal Academies for Science and the Arts of Belgium. Created in 1926, this prize is awarded each year to the researcher who has made a significant and recent scientific advance in Mathematics or Physics.
- 2021: Laureate of the Fonds Thelam.
- 2013: Elected member of the International Statistical Institute (ISI).
- 2011: Annual price in applied Mathematics (prix du concours annuel) of the Royal Academies for Science and the Arts of Belgium.
Selected recent publications
- Power enhancement for dimension detection of Gaussian signals, Statistica Sinica, to appear (coauthor: G. Bernard).
- Nonparametric tests of independence for circular data based on trigonometric moments, Statistica Sinica, to appear (coauthors: E. Garcia-Portugués, P. Lafaye de Micheaux and S. Meintanis).
- Preliminary Multiple-Test Estimation, with Applications to k-sample Covariance Estimation, Journal of the American Statistical Association, to appear (coauthors: D. Paindaveine and J. Rasoafaraniaina).
- Testing for positive expectation dependence with application to model comparison, Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Vol. 101, 163-172 (2021) (coauthors: M. Denuit and J. Trufin).
- On optimal tests for rotational symmetry against new classes of hyperspherical distributions, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 115, 1873-1887 (2020) (coauthors: E. Garcia-Portugués and D. Paindaveine).
- On new Sobolev tests of uniformity on the circle with extension to the sphere, Bernoulli, Vol. 26, 2226-2252 (2020) (coauthors: S.R. Jammalamadaka and S. Meintanis).
- Detecting the direction of a signal on high-dimensional spheres: non-null and Le Cam optimality results, Probability Theory and Related Fields, Vol. 176, 1165-1216 (2020) (coauthor: D.Paindaveine).
- Inference for spherical location under high concentration, Annals of Statistics, Vol.48, 2982-2998 (2020) (coauthor: D. Paindaveine).
- Testing for principal component directions under weak identifiability, Annals of Statistics, Vol. 48, 324-345 (2020) (coauthors: D.Paindaveine and J.Remy).